Tribute to Mr. Conrad Beaulieu

September 5, 2010

When I was a child, I dreamed of going to Europe.  I wanted to see Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower, and the Swiss Alps, and experience European culture.  I wanted to eat at a sidewalk cafe, and shop in Paris.  I wanted to see the Thames.

In tenth grade, my dream came true when two (married) wonderful, caring, teachers organized and chaperoned a trip to London, Paris, and the Alps.  We flew to Munich, and over the course of ten days visited six different countries.  It was amazing – and life changing not only for me, but for many of my classmates.  I have always thought fondly of those teachers, because they truly cared about their students and understood that learning can’t only happen in a classroom.

Today I received the disturbing news that Mr Conrad Beaulieu was found stabbed to death in his own home.  His wonderful wife, Mrs. Dianne Beaulieu (referred to by all as Madame), is in critical condition, and their son has been charged.  I’m horrified and saddened.

Mr. Beaulieu, you left a lasting legacy in all of the students’ lives that you touched.  Rest in peace.  And Madame, please get well.  The world still needs you.

- Jodi

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Kim Sutherland September 5, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Very well said, Jodi. I hope Madame’s joie de vivre helps her heal.

Mary Ellen Dube September 5, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Yes, very well said. It was a trip I will always remember. Wonderful memories they helped us create. My thoughts to the family.

nancy martel September 5, 2010 at 6:36 pm

dear Jen, My son Donald Martel ( class of 1993) was also one of those students who toured Europe with Madame also. He is stationed now in Ft Hood Texas in the U.S. Army and has heard of the distraught news threw an old classmate ( Cherilyn Perry) so this sad news has spread country wide. Our prayers are with the Beaulieu family at this time and all their former students.

Annmarie Orfanides September 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I was also lucky enough to be right there touring Europe with the Beaulieu family. Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, England…what a great thing to expose teenagers too. They opened my eyes to things I would never have seen…even dreamed of. I’ve seen them quite a few times in the 20 years since high school, but never imagined that this tragedy could befall them. I wish Madame (and at this point, I can hear the class chanting Bon Jour Madame) a quick physical recovery, and will be thinking of her and her daughter, wishing them well, and hoping that they will someday be able to recover emotionally as well. RIP Mr. Beaulieu. You were a great guy!

family member September 10, 2010 at 7:29 am

I just wanted to thank all of you for the kind words and nice memories you have shared. It has been very disturbing to read all of the articles and comments that people have made heartlessly. I am so glad that you have such wonderful memories of my aunt and uncle. Although this is a very difficult time for our family right now, it is words like these that make the healing process a little easier. Thank you.

Sharon (Fernandes) Grindle September 11, 2010 at 12:19 pm

You couldn’t have put it any better Jodi! I think we will all remember Mr. Beaulieu as he as well as Madame made an impression on us all as kids. Now that we are adults, it is easy to see that they gave their lives to us as students and taught us so much…..very unselfishly. Tiverton was and still is a special place to grow up. Even now living in CT, I still call Tiverton “home”. This story is tragic and upsetting and something I hope none of us ever have to hear about again from our amazing little country town. RIP Mr. Beaulieu – I hope you can see the entire world that you loved so much from where you are.

Christine Staskiewicz September 12, 2010 at 5:44 am

It is indeed quite a tribute to two wonderful, caring people reading these posts. I came to know them as a parent, first as a parent chaperone on Tiverton Middle School trips to Quebec. Mr B would give up his February vacation to take wide-eyed 7th graders to Quebec. Indeed he did know learning does not only take place in the classroom. His warmth, caring, and most definitely his sens of humor still brings a smile to my lips. He appreciated the time parents gave to chaperone and made sure we also had a memorable experience…and memorable it was! Sleigh rides in the cold night, making sugar snow, visiting a Inuit reservation to have dinner with some of Canada’s First People…I was privileged to make this trip twice, once with my son and two years later with my daughter. That was over ten years ago. Those memories are priceless. Anytime I would see Mr. B he would give me a warm hug, ask about my children and be genuinely interested in their well being. Rest in peace Mr B.you were truly a wonderful, caring, joyful man. Now you can see the whole world from your perch in the sky!!!

Meghan Carr September 12, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Thanks for writing such a wonderful post. I am one of the many fortunate students to have taken European trips with Mr & Mrs Beaulieu. It was the beginning of my love of all things international, led to studying abroad in Spain, a masters in International Relations, and taking advantage of trips that have brought me around the world! Mr. Beaulieu, you will always have a special place in my heart. Mrs. Beaulieu, get well soon. The entire family is in my prayers.